Sunday, January 9, 2011

Custom toy lightsabers

Status: complete

Building a lightsaber is an attractive project to a lot of nerdy makers (is that redundant?) because of the lore (a Jedi must construct his own), because at their core, they're not too complicated (a flashlight and a tube), and because they look damn cool.  I'd read up a bit on the state of the art and was shocked at the volume of materials to make "custom" lightsabers.  Arguably, piecing together a saber from pre-made parts isn't entirely custom, any more than buying a Harley off the lot and swapping out for some non-stock chrome parts is truly "custom", but people should do what they like.

I like to make Christmas gifts, I try to make something unique for at least one person each season, and this season I thought my two nephews might like some custom sabers.

Over on the forums for the Custom Saber Shop, I found some people doing neat things with PVC pipe instead of turned metals, and that was appealing to me because I wouldn't need much in the way of tooling.  Taking inspiration from posts there, and some youtube vids, I soon had a basic saber design.



Something I tried that I saw in metal sabers but didn't see anyone else doing in PVC was to put lengthwise fluting in the grip.  This seemed do-able using a jig, a router table, a fence, and some evenly spaced reference marks on the work-piece.



These would be toys for kids, and so I wanted them to be durable, and repairable.  I made them out of thick stock and chose translucent tubing with a 1/8" sidewall for durability.  I also wanted to mount all the innards on a module that could slide out for servicing or repair.  Again, looking to the forums for inspiration, I decided on a "sled" design.



I took the guts from a $15 (on sale) toy saber that already had sound effects and motion sensing built in.  I used the sound part as-is, and use the LED output to drive a transistor that switched a much more powerful 1 watt LED.  I mounted it all up and slid it into the PVC handle.



Hammertone and other metallic paints make it look... sort of metal-ish.



I thought my sister might not like a 4 year old and an 8 year old running around with 4-foot-long light-up baseball bats in the house, so I included "safety plugs" that lit up, but didn't extend past the hilt for indoor play.



But I think they look cooler with the full blades on them.



They were very well-received.  ^^

3 comments:

  1. Neopixel lightsaber UK I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Obi wan lightsabers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Lightsaber

    ReplyDelete